Have I mentioned I love to cook?  I don't go for super fancy schmancy stuff, or out there ingredients (that's what nice dinners out with my sweetie are for :-)).  I love simple, fresh and good.  I have modified this to make it crock pot easy - enjoy!

New England Clam Chowder


3 8-ounce bottles clam juice
1 pound russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (or a one pound bag of frozen hash browns)
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
3 slices bacon, finely chopped
2 cups chopped onions
1 1/4 cups chopped celery with leaves (about 2 large stalks)
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 bay leaf
1/4 cup all purpose flour
6 6 1/2-ounce cans chopped clams, drained, juices reserved
1 1/4 cups half and half
1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce

Bring bottled clam juice and potatoes to boil in heavy large saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.

Melt butter in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until bacon begins to brown, about 8 minutes. Add onions, celery, garlic and bay leaf and sauté until vegetables soften, about 6 minutes. Stir in flour and cook 2 minutes (do not allow flour to brown). Gradually whisk in reserved juices from clams.

In crock pot, combine potato mixture, bacon-onion mixture, clams, half and half and hot pepper sauce. Simmer chowder for an afternoon - makes the house smell great and no worries about burning the bottom of the pot!

Yield: Makes 8 generous (first-course) or 4 generous (main-course) servings - recipe doubles nicely



3 Comments

  1. Crockpot? Did I hear Crockpot? I am always looking for recipes like this. thanks so much. Good luck tonight!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to try this too! I've been collecting soup recipes for the fall and winter!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.