Tonight I was reminded again that perhaps my need to create, which requires lots of tools and supplies, is really an inherited trait.  So I am really just fulfilling my destiny when I purchase my third set of chain nose pliers :-) When my Mom retired in 2004 she sent to us all of my Dad's tools, and because at the time my brother didn't have a garage, they were all delivered to our house.


Obviously, we've been talking about organizing and divvying up for a very long time, especially when my brother and his family moved into their new house...3 years ago.  So tonight, after a lovely dinner together, we dragged out the three boxes and sorted things out.  It was a great reminder of what a creative problem solver my Dad was, and how many times he took on huge projects (like tiling the entire first floor of a lake house) without ever done it before and well before the age of google and youtube to help figure it out.  Some things we couldn't figure out at all or were beyond rusty, some things we are donating to our local Habitat for Humanity ReStore, and the rest we divided between our families.  Some will become tools in my beading kit, which I think is pretty cool :-)







7 Comments

  1. Such a lovely way to pass down family heirlooms that are useful. Love your shots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - love this post! I am glad you have something of your dad you all can share together! Love those shot of the tooks especially the last one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice shots of the tools, they really are quite decorative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it is so cool to be able to have your Father's tools and to be able to use them now in your own work. I hope someday my children and grandchildren have just as much fun dividing up all my stuff...I can hear them laughing together now :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - beautiful shots, Elisabeth! And let's face it...a girl can't have too many chain nose pliers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What great shots. Love the rust on the bits.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I do love some old rusty tools and these have such a history and stories to tell. Thank you for sharing them with us (as well as your brother ;) )

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.