I grew up moving all the time in a Navy family, then joined the Air Force, so moving every 1-3 years continued until 2004. Then we were lucky to land in DC, and were able to stay here, for the most part, until my husband and I both retired.  I am loving living in the same place for this long, and knowing my neighbors, and the schools and my church so well.

But my house is starting to feel a bit same-o, same-o. A change up was in order, especially since I want to solve the age old problem, the everyone-crowds-into-the-kitchen-and-no-one-sits-in-the-living-room problem.  Seriously, at Christmas the kitchen was too crowded for me to open the fridge, and only Layla was hanging out in the roomy living room a mere 3 feet away.  My solution is to switch the living room and the dining room.

For the record, my husband is not a fan of this idea.  His issue is all about Christmas tree placement.  Also I think he wants to avoid spending a lot of time moving furniture around.  So like any self respecting wife,  I picked a time when he wasn't home and asked my daughter, a very strong person who liked the idea, to help.

Here are the before pictures (Layla was supervising):



Here is all the crap stuff found in the deep recesses of the china cabinet and buffet...



...including the beautiful (and cracked) candle from our wedding, 19 1/2 years ago.  It was time for this to go.  My husband doesn't know about the furniture switch, but I did text him a picture to get his agreement before tossing it :-)


And here is the almost finished result.  There is still work to be done re-arranging pictures and getting rid of more junk treasures.  Even though I am not sure where the Christmas tree will go (it's usually in the front window), I love all the room around the table.  Now I can extend both ends and we won't have to climb over each other to get more turkey :-)








2 Comments

  1. Hi Elisabeth ! Love this post :) I'm sure your husband will like your rearranging, it looks great. We too are decorating and looking at how we use rooms and spaces. Your board, future dream house on Pinterest is fun and inspiring. Hi to Layla ! Lyn x

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister did the exact same thing in her last house...I think it is a brilliant idea!! Although I have a "stay out of my cooking triangle rule" at my house, I am always out numbered, and it never works!! Your chance looks great!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.